Commonwealth Games Federation president Michael Fennell has expressed grave concern about the athletes’ village in Delhi, saying the facility is “seriously compromised”.
The state of the village has “shocked” many team officials ahead of the October 3-14 Games in the Indian capital, Fennell said today.
“Many issues remain unresolved,” Fennell said in a statement.
“Many nations that have already sent their advanced parties to set up within the village have made it abundantly clear that … the Commonwealth Games village is seriously compromised.
” … The condition of the residential zone has shocked the majority … significant operational matters remained unaddressed.”
Fennell has written to the Indian government, imploring the immediate deployment of resources to fix problems, without elaborating on the specific nature of the issues.
Fennell also said he would travel to Delhi at the earliest opportunity to “provide our member countries and territories with a frank assessment of the situation”.
The federation’s chief executive, Mike Hooper, visited the village last Wednesday.
“Final preparations for the village have been a concern to the CGF since viewing the residential zone,” Fennell said.
“The village is the cornerstone of any Games and the athletes deserve the best possible environment to prepare for their competition.”
He said security around the village was paramount.
“The problems are arising because deadlines for the completion of the village have been consistently pushed out,” Fennell said.
“Now, the high security around the site, while vital, is slowing progress and complicating solutions.
“Security remains of the utmost importance to the CGF and our advisors continue to monitor the situation. Currently, this matter remains on track.”
The Times of India newspaper reported just 18 of the 34 residential towers were completed.
Scotland, Canda, NZ shocked over conditions
Delegates from NZ, Canada, Scotland and Ireland had objected strongly to “unliveable” conditions, with newspaper sources saying apartments were left unlocked during the day and were regularly accessed by labourers.
Toilets were a “mess”, while fixtures and fittings were still to be provided, the newspaper reported.
The New Zealand Olympic Committee was among nations to criticise village accommodation as “sub-standard”.
Games organisers offered an alternative apartment building in the village, which NZ chef de mission Dave Currie accepted as conditions were superior.
“While cleanliness had been a concern for us, further inspection has revealed some issues with plumbing, wiring, internet access and mobile phone coverage,” Currie said in a statement.
“We will now be advising sports that the accommodation is less than expected.
“While our new tower may be close to being ready, there are large sections of the village that are not yet ready for athlete arrival.”