Strauss open to an Aussie coaching England

Andrew Strauss insists appointing an Australian coach of England is an entirely feasible option for this summer’s Ashes.

南宁桑拿

Former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie, currently in charge of Yorkshire whom he led to the English County Championship title last year, has emerged as a leading contender to succeed the sacked Peter Moores.

New England and Wales Cricket Board director Strauss described Gillespie as “one of the candidates” during a marathon round of interviews at Lord’s on Tuesday.

Strauss also confirmed no way back for Kevin Pietersen, citing a “massive trust issue” for various reasons which still linger as a result of the controversial batsman’s previous difficulties with both his former captain and his employers.

As for the identity of the new coach, Strauss hopes to make an appointment in time for the start of the Ashes in July and he sees Australian birth as no impediment.

“We’ve had Australian support staff – David Saker as bowling coach, Troy Cooley in the past,” he said.

“When people are in the team environment, they’re professional.”

The difference with Gillespie, of course, is that as well as being born in Sydney he also took 259 wickets in 71 Tests for his country, including in five Ashes series.

Durham captain Paul Collingwood, who coached Scotland in the recent World Cup, has been mooted as one possible home-grown alternative.

But, speaking after his county completed a six-wicket Championship win over Nottinghamshire on Tuesday, he told the Independent: “It would have to be a ridiculous offer, something I couldn’t turn down.

“If I keep taking wickets and scoring runs and keep enjoying it and bringing some good youngsters through here at Durham, it is going to be a hard thing to give up.”

Pietersen hit back at Strauss and the ECB in his column for the Daily Telegraph on Tuesday night, accusing them too of an abuse of trust.

On Wednesday, on Twitter, he borrowed from a post sent previously by his Surrey team-mate Kumar Sangakkara – implying confusion at how Strauss could tell him he cannot be trusted to play yet also offer him an advisory role with England’s limited-overs team.

Pietersen, who turned down that invitation, tweeted: “Morning all, after a pretty bad day yesterday, I’ve given it a lot of thought overnight. I’m applying for the coaching job! #StraussLogic”

Liberatore re-signs with AFL’s Bulldogs

The Western Bulldogs’ strong start to the year has been given a vote of confidence by 2014 best and fairest winner Tom Liberatore, who has re-signed with the AFL club until at least 2018.

南宁桑拿

The 22-year-old’s 2015 season ended before it began after he suffered a major knee injury during the NAB challenge in February.

But the emerging midfielder was happy with what he had seen from the seventh-placed Bulldogs and was pleased to extend his deal.

“It means a lot to me and obviously a great time for the club and yeah it’s good to be around a good group of young players and moving forward in the right way,” Liberatore told the team’s website.

“With a lot of young players re-signing it shows that the morale of the group is in a good spot, the chemistry with everyone’s very positive and the way that the boys get along as a group reflects our performance on the field I think.”

Liberatore joins Jake Stringer, Jackson Macrae, Easton Wood, Luke Dahlhaus and Jordan Roughead in recommitting to the Bulldogs this year.

He says the rehab for his knee injury is going well and he has been spending a lot of time around the VFL setup, trying to gain a further insight in to game management and the tactical side of football.

Western Bulldogs list manager Jason McCartney said Liberatore’s re-signing was great news for the club.

“Tom is an incredibly talented young player and is such a crucial part of our midfield and team in general,” McCartney said.

“Tom is universally liked and respected around the club and we look forward to having him back in the team next season.”

Liberatore has played 77 AFL games for Western Bulldogs after being taken as a father-son selection in the 2010 draft.

Pietersen jokes he’s applying for Eng job

Kevin Pietersen joked on Twitter that he had applied for the England coaching job on Wednesday, a day after being sidelined by new director of cricket Andrew Strauss.

南宁桑拿

“Morning all, after a pretty bad day yesterday I’ve given it a lot of thought overnight,” Pietersen wrote to his 2.56 million followers.

“I’m applying for the coaching job! #StraussLogic”

Strauss revealed on Tuesday that Pietersen, 34, will not be selected for England in the immediate future, citing a “massive trust issue” between him and the South Africa-born batsman.

England are currently without a coach following the dismissal of Peter Moores last weekend.

Pietersen, England’s leading all-time run-scorer across all formats, was axed by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) last year following a 5-0 Ashes whitewash defeat in Australia.

But after new ECB chairman Colin Graves opened the door to a recall by suggesting that he could force his way back into the team by playing county cricket, Pietersen signed for his former team Surrey.

He completed an innings of 355 not out for Surrey against Leicestershire on Monday, his maiden first-class triple century, only to be told later that day by Strauss that he was not part of England’s plans.

In his column for the Daily Telegraph published on Wednesday, Pietersen wrote: “I am absolutely devastated that it looks like my hopes of an England recall have been brought to a close, especially given everything that has been said and asked of me.

“They have used the word ‘trust’ to justify not selecting me, well, trust is a two-way thing. I couldn’t believe just half an hour after I had my meeting, the result of it was on the internet and on the BBC airwaves.

“Now I certainly didn’t tell anybody, so who did? They say they don’t trust me, but how can anybody trust them?”

Pietersen also revealed that Strauss, his former England teammate, had offered him a role as an advisor on one-day cricket, which he rejected.

The batsman missed the start of the final day of Surrey’s County Championship match against Leicestershire on Wednesday in order to have a scan on a calf injury, but a Surrey spokesperson said it was only precautionary.

Pietersen is due to fly to India on Friday to join up with his Indian Premier League team Sunrisers Hyderabad.

‘Mad Max’ returns three decades on

When director George Miller returned to his dystopian “Mad Max” franchise after 30 years for “Fury Road,” he wanted to find a visceral way to immerse the audience in his surreal, saturated post-apocalyptic world.

南宁桑拿

“It felt like going back to something we had done in the past,” Miller told Reuters. “I wanted to make a movie almost like visual rock and roll or opera that just sweeps you up into the screen.”

SBS MOVIES: From Beyonce to Burning Man: The cultural copycats of ‘Mad Max’

The 70-year-old director also wanted to put a powerful woman on the Mad Max map, with Charlize Theron as Imperator Furiosa.

“Mad Max: Fury Road,” premiering in Australia tonight, follows Furiosa on a mission to rescue a group of beautiful women imprisoned by warlord Immortan Joe.

Lone warrior Max Rockatansky, played by Tom Hardy, is captured by Immortan Joe’s War Boys and finds himself thrown into Furiosa’s plan.    

Furiosa provides the biggest progression in Miller’s world:a hardened female counterpart to Max in a society that reduces women to being “breeders” to the warlord.

“I don’t think a lot of filmmakers really truly have an interest to want to understand what women represent not only in the post apocalyptic world, but the world today,” said Theron, who shaved her hair off to play the warrior.

The new film plays out mostly through a constantly moving car chase across the Australian wastelands. Advances in movie-making technology allow Miller to place cameras in positions that give viewers an adrenaline rush by immersing them in the action.

The director said “Fury Road” is “uniquely familiar” to his first “Mad Max” film trilogy released between 1979 and 1985.

Those movies, which starred Mel Gibson, were also set in a world fueled by fire, rage and war.

Humble beginnings  

The Mad Max franchise is considered one of Australia’s best pop culture exports. 

Film critic, Craig Matheison said the orginal Mad Max  “easily stands as one of the most influential cinematic works in the medium’s modern history.”

The 1979 original was the start of a star career for Oscar winning director George Miller. It also launched the career of Mel Gibson, the original Mad Max who was 23 at the time. 

The original low-budget film cost around $350,000 to make yet earned around $100m at the international box office. It spawned the release of a further two successful movies in the 80s. 

The second installment in 1981 was Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior. The budget for this film was reportedly 10 times its predecessor. 

Mad Max 2 is currently ranked the number one Australian film on review aggregator RottenTomatoes广西桑拿,.

The third film, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was released in 1985. 

The script of the first film was originally a comic book concept, with no dialogue. 

“One of the ideas that drove the first Mad Max was Alfred Hitchcock’s notion about making films that can be watched anywhere in the world without subtitles,”  Miller said. 

Mad Max: Fury Road to closes Sydney’s Cahill Expressway

A post-apocalyptic procession of tricked-out desert vehicles has caused a three-hour shut-down of Sydney’s busy Cahill Expressway.

SYDNEY CBD: Traffic’s returned to normal after earlier closure of the #CahillExp from #SydneyHarbourBridge to Conservatorium Rd for filming.

— Live Traffic Sydney (@LiveTrafficSyd) May 13, 2015

The colourful demonstration was publicising the latest instalment in the Mad Max movie franchise.

The road between the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Sydney Conservatorium of Music was closed between 10am and 1pm as vehicles from the action blockbuster roared into the Sydney Opera House forecourt.

Heavy traffic conditions are expected in the Sydney CBD around Macquarie Street, with buses delayed on Castlereagh, George and Elizabeth streets.

 Currently at 98% on the Tomatometer, looks like #MadMaxFuryRoad is one to see! pic.twitter广西桑拿,/YpexLDRf8o

— Superhero Of Steel (@SuperheroSteel) May 13, 2015

The film is on it’s way to rank among the three highest-grossing Australian films of all time. 

So far, critics like what they’ve seen. 

The creator of the original Mad Max trilogy has whipped up a gargantuan grunge symphony of vehicular mayhem that makes Furious 7 look like Curious George. – Michael Philips, Chicago Tribine

The fourth instalment of George Miller’s punky post-apocalyptic ‘Mad Max’ saga feels like a tornado tearing through a tea party. In an age of weightless movie spectacles, here’s a movie that feels like it was made by kidnapping $150 million of studio money, fleeing with it to the Namibian desert, and sending footage back to Hollywood like the amputated body parts of a ransomed hostage – David Ehrlich for Time Out

Imagine a movie where Tom Hardy is the point of calm. Max’s re-enfranchisement is a triumph of barking-mad imagination, jaw-dropping action, crackpot humour, and acting in the face of a hurricane – Ian Nathan, Empire Magazine Top rated Australian films on Rotten Tomatoes Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior – 100%Breaker Morant – 100%Mad Max: Fury Road – 98%Animal Kingdom – 96%Picnic at Hanging Rock – 94%The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert – 93%The Piano – 90%Crocodile Dundee – 89%Gallipoli – 88%Shine – 90%Mad Max – 88%Rabbit Proof Fence – 88%  Replacing Gibson

Tom Hardy said he did not try to fill Gibson’s “Mad Max” shoes.

Instead, he sought to further Miller’s vision of the tormented Max, who spends half the film muzzled by his captors and is haunted throughout by visions of his dead family.

“This is George’s world and he’s pushing the boundaries and endeavoring to grow it and develop more the world of the postapocalyptic landscape that it’s set in,” he said.

Tahiti FA director Temarii banned for eight years by FIFA

“The adjudicatory chamber has determined that Mr Temarii’s conduct violated FIFA code of ethics articles on.

南宁桑拿

.. general rules of conduct, loyalty, confidentiality, conflicts of interest and offering and accepting gifts…,” said FIFA’s ethics committee in a statement.

Temarii, the general director of Tahiti’s FA, was suspended from all football activity for one year in 2010 following an investigation into allegations he offered to sell his vote in the World Cup hosting contest to undercover newspaper reporters.

Nigeria’s Amos Adamu, a fellow FIFA executive committee member, was banned for three years in the same case.

FIFA’s ethics committee said Temarii then accepted “an amount of 305,640 euros from Mr Mohamed bin Hammam, who was then a member of the FIFA Executive Committee and the AFC President, to cover the costs of his legal expenses in the context of an appeal.”

“Temarii received the money in January 2011 following a meeting with Mr Bin Hammam in November 2010 in Kuala Lumpur,” added the statement.

Temarii, who was also president of the Oceania Football Confederation at the time, lost his appeal.

Qatari Bin Hammam, another FIFA executive committee member, was initially banned by soccer’s world governing body for bribery ahead of the 2011 FIFA presidential elections in which he was standing against incumbent Sepp Blatter.

Bin Hammam eventually overturned the verdict after a lengthy court process only to be suspended following a review of AFC accounts by FIFA who accused him of repeated violations of the ethics code during 2008-2011.

(Editing by Ken Ferris)